Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Moving Backwards

Often times people think of moving backwards as a bad thing. Recently, I've been trying to move "backwards" in positive ways! I want to lessen distractions in my life and "simplify". I think these are the Footsteps that God wants me to follow right now, because ultimately it leads to a better focus on Him.

What are some steps on that journey?

They involve all different aspects of my life: emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual.

One thing I have been learning lately is how to cook on my own. I've learned to bake my own bread, make my own cheese sauce (and thus homemade mac n cheese!), and a lot of other cooking that I never thought I could do! Jason and I eat out SO much less, which is so much better for our health! The fact that we are losing weight is quite motivational in the process as well. :) This improves my life:
1. physically, because I am putting better things into my body and also losing weight
2. mentally because there is tremendous reward in enjoying the fruits of my labor!
3. emotionally: I enjoy learning new things and succeeding at them (even if it's not right away!)
4. spiritually: because by providing healthy meals and food for my husband I am obeying God's commands for wives by providing food for my family.

Another thing I have been trying to do is cut back my dependence on technology. I find that in my "idle" moments I'm often tempted to fill my time by browsing on Facebook, surfing the internet for interesting articles (which CAN be a good thing), turn on the TV for a show or a movie... on occasion I'm tempted to do something good like read, but at the same time I look around my small home and notice how easily it gets cluttered. How many things need doing. And sometimes that makes me want to watch a movie MORE, because it is overwhelming. More and more though I remember the Lord's words in Proverbs 31:27, "She watches over the affairs of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness." Those are convicting words. It's TOUGH, as a wife, to fulfill my duty to my husband and home by keeping it clean and good food on the table AND work 2 jobs. Jason helps where he can but he works much more than I do. And so I need to let myself be stretchable and trust that the Lord will make me sufficient by His grace. And in the end, there are few better things than sitting down to relax with a snack and a good book after a few hours cleaning up the apartment!
This improves my life:
1. physically: I get exercise while I am up and about getting things done! Much more than being a couch potato!
2. mentally: It's stimulating to be up doing things rather than a couch potato. My mind feels more fresh and I don't get as many headaches!
3. emotionally: again being up moving around keeps my mind busy and keeps my mind from wandering to subjects which only bring me down.
4. spiritually: again I'm directly obeying one of God's commands by keeping my home a safehaven for my family!

Future goals for providing for my family, saving money, and leading a happier, healthier, more God-focused lifestyle include:
growing my own garden
keeping a steady monthly budget
getting rid of debts
learning new skills such as changing the oil in a car
Spending more REGULAR time getting to know the Lord.

...and anything else I can think of. :)

1 comment:

Becky (So Very Blessed) said...

That's so awesome, Liesl! You're such an awesome wife! That's SO awesome that you picked up on cooking so fast! It took me WAY longer to get there!

Same thing with getting things done around the house! I used to LOVE just vegging on my computer or in front of the tv, but I JUST learned that those things are so much more rewarding after you've gotten the housework done. And I love not having to "catch up" on everything. It's way better to just keep up with with things as they need to be done!

I'm so proud of you, Liesl. You are growing in so many areas so fast! You're amazing!