Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Communication

Communication seems to be a huge underlying cause of relational problems, between all people. Not just dating relationships, but all relationships suffer from this. I see it pervading everywhere I go and it drives me crazy.

When people are hurt or angry, they just hold their feelings inside, feeding bitterness and hostility towards another individual who may not even realize they are doing something hurtful. It strains and often breaks relationships, leaving questions unanswered and hearts confused.

People disagree with something that is going on. Instead of confronting the person or people involved, they gossip about it with other people or go to another source first rather than those directly involved. This leaves people frustrated who did not realize they were making someone uncomfortable. Had they been confronted, they likely would be willing to hear the other side and probably to modify the situation in everyone's best interests (of course, both parties need to be willing to listen).

I see this problem at home between parents and kids, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives. I see it at work between coworkers, and between bosses and employees. I see it at church in close friendships, between strangers, and between church-goers and the leadership of the church. I see it everywhere.

And it drives me INSANE.

Not that I never suffer the same problem.

I, like most other people, fear to confront people or share negative feelings I am experiencing, for fear of rejection from the other person, perhaps ridicule, or even worse, indifference. Sometimes I fear that sharing this will injure the other person (although we could all use some healthy injuring at times). Sometimes I'd just rather let someone else deal with it and not do it myself.

But this is not right, by me or anyone else. So many relationships are screwed up because of this problem. Myself and others need to:
Stand by the promises we make
Hear out carefully what others have to say
Lovingly confront those who are hurting us
Stop refusing to deal with problems out of fear
Communicate our feelings to those we care about and others in our lives
Consider the repercussions not only on ourselves personally, but on the other individual(s) involved as well, and also the relationship we have with that person(s).

If we could all communicate just a little better, everyone's lives would be a lot more pleasant and enjoyable, and peaceful. :)

1 comment:

Becky (So Very Blessed) said...

I absolutely agree with you. Miscommunication makes life messy so fast and life would be so much less stressful if we could just trust others to talk to us directly and kindly about things going on.